5.08.2007

Another fucking skate deck show...

I have mixed feelings about Youngblood Gallery's upcoming skate deck art show "Sk8 or Die III." Although it is inherit in the title that they are not the last to arrive at the party, it still seems well over done. I believe that Youngblood will do the medium well and put on a good show, in fact the street will be closed off for skate ramps, etc. However, I hear a lot of grief from people about gimmick art show that choose a canvas and get as many artists as they can to make art on the given item. There seems to be some thought that despite this over explored format, it is still cool to have skate deck art shows. "Why not have a canvas show?" I was asked the other day. I don't know. Unless the deck is addressed somehow in the art work, it really is just a canvas, and will make for a very scattered exhibition. I'll wait and see if this show can transcend the cliche, they do have most of the solid local artists contributing. I know I will be there, giving it the benefit of the doubt. If you want to see a recent skate deck show that really utilized its medium and took the stereotype to another level, check out the Refill Seven website here.

No comments: